Wednesday, December 29, 2010

DD1 & DD2 quilts

While driving home from Thanksgiving break I decided I would add making quilts for my daughters to my Christmas to-do list. (while still working on one for my mom, and just cutting out one for my brother and sister in-law)


The only part of the plan that was not crazed is that I had the full complement of fabric for both projects. DD1 had expressed a slight interest in making a project in the spring so I researched and picked a pattern and bought fabric based on her criteria only to have her say she changed her mind, she wasn't that interested she just said she was to not disappoint me..... hhhmmm... another stack of fabric!




I knew the fabric would be perfect in her room which she recently painted lavender but I didn't want to use the pattern the fabric was bought for.


Camile Roskelly's Little Man quilt from her new book was my new inspiration which I modified to make it larger for my big girl. It suits her! Bright, edgy and orderly.





On the trip where I got the bright idea to make the quilts I had picked up some Urban Zoology Owl fabric by Ann Kelle. DD2 loved it so I decided to use it for her quilt, mixing it with blues and greens from my stash. The original plan was to sash D9P squares but that was a bit flat so I framed them in chartreuse kona and wonked them a little with white.



Backing is Pillow and Maxfield for Michael Miller - Whimsy - Curly Swirl.



Despite the expression on her face, she does love it and had been carrying it around the house wherever she goes, plopping down to snuggle up and read while wrapped in it.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love the OWL quilt!! And the backing is beautifully perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love both of these but the owl one is my favourite because I just love the blue/green colour combo. That backing fabric is to die for too

    ReplyDelete