Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fenced in Hope





Fenced in Hope is done and in the mail to its new home. I hope they like it as much as I do.




It is the largest quilt I have machine quilted myself to date (aprox 65 x 76) and it was not nearly the struggle I was anticipating. It took two football games on Sunday which was not too bad.

The inspiration for my quilt came from the Fenced In quilt in Elizabeth Hartman's Practicl Guide to Patchwork.

The fabrics are primarily Hope Valley, New Day color way with a couple others from my stash. I love these greys and blues and think I have enough left for something for me! The solids are Kona Cotton.


I blogged about my issue in matching the Sage Kona and in that hunt made a startling discovery... not all Kona is the same. It appears that the fabric sold at Joann's is different. If you have a piece from Joann's and one from Hancock's, a LQS or an online store compare them. Not just the color, the actual weave. The stuff at Joann's is much coarser and the thread count is low. I went through my full Kona collection and found this to be the case in every instance. Lesson learned....

4 comments:

  1. I love your finished quilt. Have not tried to quilt one myslef that is that big.
    For the best Kona you need Robert Kaufman brand. It was explained to me that Kona is not a brand or maker it is a cotton type. Kaufman makes a good meaty fabric with true colors and it works especially well for bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! You've been busy:)

    I'll have to remember that about Kona. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunner! I love the way you used the Hope Valley fabrics! I have a stack sitting on my shelves I haven't dared cut into...yet. Maybe in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely quilt!! Lovethis soft colour palette.

    ReplyDelete