Friday, March 12, 2010

Rick Rack Rocks!




I love Rick Rack!

I shared this quilt top last week and thanks for all the great ideas for a name. I was not thrilled with the contrast of the quilt and while quilting it out this week I felt the colors were reading somewhat anemic and bland. I dug around and found some wonderful cotton jumbo (aprox 1.5" wide) black rick rack that I had stashed in the bottom of a basket and WOW!




I decided to do a pieced binding (below) and I like it, but next time I will make the strips 1/2 WOF rather than full to break it up a little more.




I was even able to find a model to pose with this quilt!



RRR (Rick Rack Rocks) will be the name of this quilt! To celebrate my love of rick rack and to thank you for the name suggestions, I am going to giveaway this set of 4 note cards that feature red rick rack! To enter just leave a comment!

I leave you with this picture from my back yard. While posing the RRR quilt for its close up I got a whiff of the scent from these lovely signs of spring. We are heading to the mountains for our much anticipated spring break ski trip this week and expect to return to full-on spring at home!


Enjoy your weekend whatever season you are currently in and be sure to check out the other great projects on Amy's Sew & Tell.

29 comments:

  1. Love the rick rack note cards, and the quilt is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I loved your quilt before, but the addition of the rick rack is way too cool!!! Great note cards as well. How nice of you to share! Beautiful flowers in your backyard. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rick rack looks so cool on your quilt, and the cards are very cute! Where do they sell jumbo rick rack; I don't think I have seen it anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ric rack was a great idea for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two thumbs up, but only becuse I am very limited on how many thumbs I have!! Great job!
    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspired idea Diane! The ric rac has really lifted that quilt! Have a great ski holiday and hope you come back to lots of spring goodness. I'll have to wait 6 months to see those spring bulbs in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love that quilt!!! And the cards ROCK!! Just incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are always amazing! I agree... rick rack rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rick rack trim is sooo cute on that quilt! And you're ahead of us with those beautiful hyacinths. I love their scent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing! It totally changes the look of the quilt. Rick Rack does rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rick
    Rack
    Rules!!
    that was the perfect "sparkler" to finish off the quilt~!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow and wow! I am amazed at what the addition of that jumbo rick rack did for your quilt. Inspired idea of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great name for a quilt! Rick rack does indeed rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the rick rack really makes that quilt! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That rickrack! It certainly does rock! Wow! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. RRR is perfect! I am quite sure that adding ric rack to anything never really hurt it much. Cute cards, I'd love to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome idea: jump rick rack sure does the trick! I'm going to have to keep this in mind for a future project ... it really adds pizzazz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane your quilt has turned out beautifully. Love the ric rac and the border fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quilt and rickrack (absolutely gorgeous!) and, of course, the cutesy model...but...I think you are making us really jealous with those beautiful spring flowers and a glimpse of that swimming pool!!! Wow! Once it turns spring in VA I don't think I'll be inside working on quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The ric rac is a great touch! I like the border fabric, too.

    Hope your trip is relaxing. Spring is slowly showing up here:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that quilt is beautiful. The rick rack is the perfect touch. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love ric rac too!! This is adorable! It's amazing what a little ric rac can do to spice things up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that quilt is stunning!!! the ric rac truly makes it pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The rick rack is perfect. It really makes the quilt just that more beautiful. Great idea. Cute model too.
    I can almost smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a big ric rac fan too!!!! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this quilt is stunning!!! you did such a beautiful job with the quilting, and i love that ric rac so much

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your finished Authentic quilt looks great! I do think the black ric-rac adds the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quilt looks wonderful and love the touch of Rick Rack!! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete