Friday, January 18, 2013

Trip - done!

 
 
1744 pieces combined to make this quilt.  Most were from the scrap strip container, lots of binding ends and trimmings from backings since I allow about 4 inches extra on my backings.
 
 
Since I am pretty anti-random some rules had to be established, which you may be able to determine from just looking at it.  The first is that a dark ran through the middle, second was each block had a solid, third was each had a yellow fabric. 
 
When choosing the fabrics I eliminated brown tones.  I had satisfied my warm scrappy yearnings with Scraptastic last year.
 
I made the blocks with 7x7 rather than the standard 6x6 strips. The quilt is 6x6 blocks, 80" square.  I am pretty sure I will be adding a solid border around the edges, probably 5" which will make this perfect for my queen sized bed. The blue sky is inspiring me to maybe go with a blue :) 
 
However, border will have to wait as I got my flag order for the spring this week and once fabric arrives will be making 62 for the Winter Guard show.  
 
Sharing this weeks accomplishment with the Whoop Group!

9 comments:

  1. Diane, it's gorgeous!! Your rules served you well on this. The dark really brings everything together and the yellow makes it sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowww wonderful colors. Is marvelous your blog and very beautiful, congratulations. Kisses from Spain.

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, Diane! I love the colors you chose - hope mine looks as good when it's finished! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Scrappy Trip...haven't done anything to start mine though! Yours is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've fallen in love with Scrappy Trips. I probably will have to do one too as a result. I like the "rules" you put into yours. It made it all hang together much better. Here is hoping I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your "rules" added in this scrappy number!! I think it adds a lot of great interest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also a 'planned-random' person as well! Your rules give the quilt top a great rhythm - its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Diane!! Your rules give the quilt lots of movement as well as somewhere for the eye to rest. Lovely. Good luck with the flags!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats! love it and all the colors in it. I do the darker fabrics and the way you set them. Well done.
    More flags!

    ReplyDelete