Thursday, January 12, 2012

Friday - a hot whoop!

This is the block I made as part of Randi's Fresh Squeezed Sew-along.



I wanted to play along but didn't want to totally de-rail my other projects so I made just a single block with the intent to make into a pot holder/trivet.



My husband painted in the kitchen and tiled the back splash behind the stove so I figured this would be my little addition to the updates. I used a layer of the heat resistant batting, but I find it stiff and it makes crinkly noises, so I sandwiched it between two layers of cotton batting. This made it nice and thick and ready to be a resting spot for a hot pot of chili.


Since I was working on pot holders, I decided to finish up these as well. They started as testers for double hour glass blocks. I then decided to sandwich them and use them as FMQ samples. I used two layers of cotton with the intention that some day I would finish them off and they would live in the kitchen where they now reside.

I am sharing at Sarah's whoop link party.


Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Can you believe that I've never yet made a pot holder. I got some coffee fabric for a friend, maybe I'll get those mug rugs done and then make pot holders for the balance of the fabric. That should use up that fabric that's been sitting in a drawer over a year!!! ...now to find that special batting! Oh my, off on another "loop" as DH calls it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great potholders, Diane! That's a fantastic idea to use them for FMQ practice. Your parallel waves are so perfect, I thought you'd used a decorative stitch setting. Wonderful, and whoop whoop!

    PS - You've reminded me that I've been meaning to try those double hourglass blocks. They look like they'd be perfect for using up some scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pot holders with the words fabric, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to make random blocks into pot holders and to practice FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love them all! I have a whole stack of orphan blocks that I should put to good use like you did! Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey a pot holder is a great way to have the best of both: practice of the stitching, and piecing something different that does not require the commitment of a quilt. I like them all!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all beautiful pot holders! And I love the title of your post - so here's a hot Whoop to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to use potholders for FMQ practice. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete