Thursday, November 19, 2009

wonky fence rail - continued



Thanks so much for the input on where you get your fabrics!

A couple of weeks ago I showed my first cut of fabrics for Cheryl at Naptime Quilter's quilt along. Cheryl had to put the project on pause but now is back at it again so I need to commit!


I keep wanting to put my new county fair prints in here (gold and brown) as well as the Dewberry (3rd from top), but these are heavier fabrics ... The fabric info on the web sites for the line says it is appropriate for quilts, but I am wondering if I should wait till I gather enough to make one exclusively of the heavier rather than mixing with lighter weights?

Anyone have experience, good or bad, in mixing these light weight designer decorator fabrics with quilting fabrics?

4 comments:

  1. A Quilt along sounds like fun, wish they had those back when I started quilting. I learned a lot through trial and error. Watched her video and now I'm anxious to see what she makes with the fabrics. Love the colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics look wonderful together.
    Could you maybe use the heavier stuff for the backing and some matching pillows? Or add one as the binding too?

    There are often times where the fabric that inspired the colourway doesn't actually make it into the quilt. This has happened to me more than once. But I still get the overall look I wanted from the fabric in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric color combination.
    I have not ever used the heavier fabrics mixed in with lighter cottons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would washing the heavier fabrics change anything significantly? If not, there is always pillows! Great colour combo.

    ReplyDelete